PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:30 am      Post subject: Polish States Archives - your questions and experience

Should you have any specific questions about conducting research in State Archives in Poland? Do you want to share your knowledge in this matter? Here is the place for you to do it.
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:57 am      Post subject:

Good news for researchers Exclamation In January 2008 Polish State Archives in the whole country decreased cost of reproduction of records (either from books and from microfilms) from 14-20 Polish zloty to 2-4 Polish zloty Exclamation

Information confirmed by me personally (I received invoice with the new price).
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:23 am      Post subject:

Unfortunately, as we have learned the hard way together with one of our Forum members, not all of the Polish State Archives branches decreased the prices of xerox or digital copies of records.

From our experience and from other Polish genealogical forum (genpol.com) the status of price lists for today (Feb 25, 2008) in Polish State Archives is as follows:

1. Branches which decreased their price lists:
- Central Archives of Historical Records in Warsaw
- State Archives in Plock
- Siedlce
- Rzeszow
- Bialystok
- Wroclaw
- Bydgoszcz
- Grodzisk
- Pultusk
- Katowice (branch Raciborz)
- Piotrkow
- Konin
- Lodz
- Koszalin
- Lublin
- Warsaw
- Zamosc
- Czestochowa
- Inowroclaw
- Konin

2. Branches which did not decrease their price lists:
- Wloclawek

Additionally, some of the branches have special rates for copies ordered for genealogical research or by foreigners. It resembles the communism era when the prices of many goods and services were different for Polish citizens and for people coming to Poland from "other currency territory"...

Hopefully, in time they clear the rules and they will be uniform in the whole Poland.
Send e-mail
JacekRoszakKonin

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:08 am      Post subject:

The price for 1 scan, copy or picture is 4 zloty + a cd cost Wink 2 zloty if you want a copy or picture on cd.
I live in Konin, so if someone needs a copy from out archives just mail me - [email protected].
In out Archives there are records from 1800 to 1910. Records from 1720 are in Wloclawek.
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:59 pm      Post subject:

JacekRoszakKonin wrote:
The price for 1 scan, copy or picture is 4 zloty + a cd cost Wink 2 zloty if you want a copy or picture on cd.
I live in Konin, so if someone needs a copy from out archives just mail me - [email protected].
In out Archives there are records from 1800 to 1910. Records from 1720 are in Wloclawek.

Does each archive keep ONLY what is in their own area? Or do they all share the same information?

My mother was born in Lida, which is now in Belarus. Would the Polish archives have information from
the time that area was part of Poland?

With Polish zloty at about 32.5 cents, that sounds like a bargain.

Bob K.
Send e-mail
JacekRoszakKonin

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:53 pm      Post subject:

No, archives keep records only from their area. Only parishes in approximatly 50 to 100 km radius.
I'm not sure, but it seems that all the records are in archives in Belarus. You won't find anything in poland, but there are many people that can help you if you only ask. I don't know how good is your polish but I found some websites that can be useful. Also there is a possibility thet you can send a letter or e-mail to the archive and ask them to do a search for you. If my memory serves, the cost is 80 zlotych per hour of their time.
The whole process looks like that:
You call them (but there is a possibility that no one will speak english Wink ) or you can write to them - e-mail or letter.
You have to give them as much information as possible - year, name, surename of person that you are looking for.
They will search for it and if they found anything, they will write to you and say that they found what you ware asking for. They will send you a price of this search. As I sad befor - about 80 zł per hour. It usually takes about 15 minutes so you would pay 20 zl. You will pay and then they will send you the document. You won't know what it is till you pay.
This is how it's done in poland.

http://genealogia.kresowa.info/index.php
Here is a link to polish portal, wher you can find out a lot about looking for your ancestars in Belarus.
http://archives.gov.by/eng/
This should also help.
Don

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:42 am      Post subject:

Zenon wrote:
Good news for researchers Exclamation In January 2008 Polish State Archives in the whole country decreased cost of reproduction of records (either from books and from microfilms) from 14-20 Polish zloty to 2-4 Polish zloty Exclamation

Information confirmed by me personally (I received invoice with the new price).

Has Poland changed over to the Euro? I received a recent letter from a Catholic parish stating they have.
JacekRoszakKonin

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:44 am      Post subject:

Not yet Smile which parish ?
Don

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:52 am      Post subject:

JacekRoszakKonin wrote:

Chodecz Maybe they were telling me about future plans. I need my letters translated to English.
JacekRoszakKonin

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:55 am      Post subject:

[email protected] - I will help you with translating
Don

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:55 am      Post subject:

don&judy wrote:
JacekRoszakKonin wrote:

Chodecz Maybe they were telling me about future plans. I need my letters translated to English.

Thank you for the information
Don

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:02 pm      Post subject:

JacekRoszakKonin wrote:
[email protected] - I will help you with translating

Thank you for the offer, but I will have our parish priest translate them for me. Thank you , again.
noolvido

Replies: 33

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:41 pm      Post subject: Polish archives research

Is there someplace that gives detailed instructions on obtaining info from the archives????? Can it be done in English?
James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:32 am      Post subject: Polish State Archives

noolvido,

If you go to the " MENU " box, on the left side of the page :

* place cursor over " Tips & Resources ", a drop down menu appears to the right,
* clik on " Polish State Archives " ,
* clik on " Remote research in Polish State Archives - practical hints " ,

Here you will find info concerning communication with the Polish State Archives. It begins with the process if you are mailing letters, but most communication can be achieved via computers now.

You will also find a list of Polish State Archives and their address'.
Each individual archive has its own web site, and information pertaining to accessing documents, costs, etc...

If a state archive does not have any information pertaining to an individual, it could be that the info is at a church archive, in which case that is a whole different procedure, usually requiring a personal visit.

As for translations, there are several resources available to you. A gentleman here at Polish Origins, has offered to do some translations. I usually use Google Language Tool ( copy & paste ) it's very simple, there are also several translation sites on-line. I've also had a friend translate for me.

I hope that this is helpful.

James
frostyrose33

Replies: 21

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:11 pm      Post subject:

http://www.halgal.com/archivesineurope.html has guidance for the archives, or Praziad.

The site also has guidance ( http://www.halgal.com/gemeindelexikon.html ) for finding the parishes of the town where relatives lived via the "Gazetteer of the Crown Lands and Territories Represented in the Imperial Council, Volume 12: Galizien (Galicia) Vienna, 1907" which is posted on the LDS site.

There are historical maps and other useful links: http://www.halgal.com/vitalrecords.html

I'm still learning and exploring, but others of you may find these ideas helpful. It's more than just the Galicia area, with research ideas and techniques that include all of Poland and the Ukraine. Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page 1 of 4

Jump to: