PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1000

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:50 pm      Post subject: Czarny Dunajec near Nowy Targ in Malopolskie

Let's start a discussion about Czarny Dunajec. Would anyone like to post some history of the town or discuss their ancestors who came from Czarny Dunajec?

If your ancestors are from Czarny Dunajec, be sure to add your information to the Places Database at: http://polishorigins.com/places
You can also add your family surnames to the Surname Database: http://polishorigins.com/surnames

Please reply to this thread and leave a comment.

Czarny Dunajec is a town located about 60 miiles south of Krakow, in Nowy Targ County.

Hear how to say it in Polish: http://say.expressivo.com/jacek/Czarny_Dunajec

See where it is located in Poland:
http://tinyurl.com/CzarnyDunajec-map

These are some surnames associated with Czarny Dunajec. No attempt has been made to correct the spellings of the surnames - The surnames are written as found in the Ellis Island database and in the index of the book Czarny Dunajec i okolice – (Czarny Dunajec and Vicinity — A Sketch of Its Annals up to 1945.
Edited by Feliks Kiryk. Published and printed by Secesja, Kraków].
Babeł . Bahel . Bak . Balasz . Balitzer . Bania . Benksa . Bielawski . Bielecki . Bielska . Bielski . Błachut . Bobek . Bonk . Brosig . Bryjak . Bryjakowi . Bryniarski . Bucz . Bukowski . Buron . Bzowski . Chlebek . Chlebkowi . Chraca . Cider . Cieply . Cikawska . Cikawski . Cikowski . Cisek . Cislowiak . Cisowska . Cisowski . Ciszek . ciszek . Ciszek . Czach . Czepiel . Czyż . Czyżowi . Dabernat . Długopolski . Dregacz . Drengacz . Dziora . Dziura . Fiedor . Figus . Fit . Fit . Fodimek . Follas . Furtak . Gacek . Gacek . Gajewski . Galica . Gątkiewicz . Gaucarczyk . Gawron . Glika . Gliściński . Głodwski . Godorsky . Góralski . Gruszka . Guzik . Guzy . Habernego . Haberny . Haberny . harbut . Harbut . Herbut . Hołtas . Horowitz . Horwat . Horwath . Hyrcyzk . Hyrczyk . Izler . Jachimaiak . Jackaniak . Janus . Jaremczyk . Jaronczyk . Jan . Jarosz . Jaworski . Jaworzyna . Joarńczyk . Jojs . Jonas . Jońca . Jońcowi . Joniec . Joniówna . Juchas . Kakol . Kalemba . Kamperda . Kantor . Kapel . Kapusciarz . Karpiel . Kasinia . Kaworski . Kednerce . Kendzirski . Kieta . Kimperdę . Kindzierski . Kipta . Klusce . Kois . Kojs . Koldrecki . Kompenda . Komperda . Komperdzie . Kompert . Kompzcala . Kostjak . Kragaty . Króżel . Krzysiak . Kubasik . Kucharski . Kucik . Kula . Kulawiak . Kwak . Kwanśny . Łas . Laski . Leja . Ligas . Lisiński . Lopata . Lorenz . Los . Łoś . Łosiówna . Łowisz . Łyszczarczyk . Mackierzak . Malinowski . Maśnica . Mazur . Michalak . Miejska . Miernicka . Mieszczyka . Mietus . Mikos . Mikosz . Mirga . Mliscinski . Mlynurczyk . Molek . Morawa . Mrugała . Mrugałowie . Mulica . Muszka . Nadzorczej . Obertacz . Obrochta . Obyrtacz . Ochrynowicz . Ogrodny . Olszewska . Pabin . Pacanower . Panatkę . Papiesz . Pawelczak . Pawłowski . Pech . Pękali . Pęksa . Penksa . Pieczorowski . Pikuła . Pilch . Pizar . Pizarowi . Polaskowa . Rafacz . Ratułowski . Ratulowski . Rawicki . Reczck . Rocha . Romanówna . Rosiński . Rosinski . Różak . Rypek . Sielenski . Siuty . Siwa . Skorupa . Skubisz . Skupion . Smółka . Sroka . Srokowski . Stopka . Styk . Styrczula . Suski . Swietch . Świtalski . Szaflarska . Szaflarski . Szaflarskiego . Szaflarsky . Szal . Szczurek . Szczwick . Szemrek . Szinuczak . Szuba . Szuba . Szwab . Tokarska . Tokarski . Trepper . Trombka . Trybulec . Trybulec . Trzebunia . Tylka . Tyrała . Walicka . Watycha . Wierzbiak . Winarska . Winarska . Witwickiej . Wójcik . Wróblówki . Zajac . Zając . Zajac . Zarycki . Żegleń . Zembatego . Zielinska . Zielinski . Zolnierczyk . Zwolinski

The cemetery is located away from the church, but there are a few stones in the churchyard - most likely marking the graves of priests and professors from this parish. The photo below is of the headstones of Andrezj Leja and Stanislaw Batkowski.

Czarny Dunajec map1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.98 KB
 Viewed:  40022 Time(s)

Czarny Dunajec map1.jpg

Czarny Dunajec Church yard.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  598.5 KB
 Viewed:  40022 Time(s)

Czarny Dunajec Church yard.jpg

Czarny Dunajec Church & Church Door 2009.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.91 KB
 Viewed:  40024 Time(s)

Czarny Dunajec Church & Church Door 2009.jpg

Last edited by Shellie on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:56 am; edited 9 times in total
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:07 am      Post subject: Czarny Dunajec History

You can view some old photos of Czarny Dunajec here: http://www.ckip.org/index.php?view=category&catid=45&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=49

More photos from 1920 and 1927 of Czarny Dunajec at this link[/b]: http://www.czarny-dunajec.pl/albumy

Click on the folder Zdjęcia Archiwalne (photo archives). One set in 1927 has about 45 photos of soldiers and a hot air balloon. The other set is of street scenes around town. I did not see any captions, though.

If you have any links to vintage photos of villages near Czarny Dunajec, please share them with me. I love old photos, especially old portraits of polish villagers and village life before 1920

The following is a local history of Czarny Dunajec by Anna Rutkowski, located on the Virtual Shtetl site at:
http://www.sztetl.org.pl/?a=showCity&action=view&cat_id=3&city_id=356&lang=en_GB

Czarny Dunajec – Local history małopolskie / krakowskie (before 1939) > Czarny Dunajec
Author: Anna Rutkowski

The history of the village began in the mid 16th century, yet there had probably been many previous settlements of the place since the 13th century, having to do with the activity of the Cistercians. Based on the 1564 document on the lustration of crown lands, it can be alleged that Czarny Dunajec was probably established as early as in 1552, on the initiative of Prokop Pieniążek. The locator and the first administrator of the village was Tomasz Miętus, who – together with his son – started lumbering the forest to clear the land for future settlement. He also financed the erection of the first wooden church – the Church of the Holy Trinity. In 1605, he passed his post over to his son, Klemens, and grandson, Sebastian. The starost of Nowy Targ, Adam Kazanowski, bought the land from Klemens Miętus in 1641 and converted it into a giant farm (folwark). During the reign of King Michał Korybut Wiśniowiecki, the folwark of Czarny Dunajec was granted to war veterans, Teodor Sulima i Jan Pawęcki. Because of its profitable location (on the trade route from Cracow to Orawa and further to Hungary), Czarny Dunajec was undergoing substantial growth at that time.

The village was home to Stanisław Lętowski, leader of the 1624-1633 peasants’ uprising against the starost Mikołaj Komorowski, who was famous for his cruelty and abuse of his subject peasants. Stanisław Lętowski was executed in Krzemionki, Cracow, on 28 June, 1651, for taking part in an uprising under the command of Kostka Napieralski. During the Swedish “Deluge”, the inhabitants also actively defended Poland. In 1670, Stanisław Buchański commanded the highlanders in a peasants’ uprising, in the battle of Nowy Targ.

In the 17th century, the folwark and its adjacent lands belonged to the family of Ratułowscy. In 1753, due to unsatisfactory income, Czarny Dunajec was sold by auction to local peasants. In 1769 [something is wrong with the date – needs to be checked, AK], after the partitions, it fell under Austrian occupation, became the Empire’s property, and was later put up for sale. The „Dominion of Czarny Dunajec”, with the villages Ciche, Chochołów, Czarny Dunajec, Dzianisz, Podczerwone, Witów i Wróblówka, was bought in 1819 by Jan Pajączkowski. Highlanders bought the courtly estate back from Pajączkowski, by the agency of reverend Józef Szczurowski, to gain independence from the court and to increase their own lands.

The rank and significance of Czarny Dunajec in the local economy grew during the occupation. Based on a privilege from 31 January 1831, the village was granted the right to host a market every week, and organize six fairs a year. On 21 September 1846, the number of fairs was increased to 13 per year as a reward for helping to repress the uprising in Chochołów. Two years later, the inhabitants were pestered by Russian soldiers, who were supposed to help Austria fight with Koszut. Properties were robbed and the locality devastated.

In the second half of the 19th century, the material situation of the people still worsened. Among the main reasons were the increasing population growth, resulting in land divisions and shrinking of individual farms. In 1857, there were 1,986 people living in Czarny Dunajec, and in 1890 – 2,445. An important factor was also the great fire in 1859, which consumed almost all the settlement. People were trying to make a living looking for seasonal jobs in Hungary. A large group emigrated to the United States. It generated a capital inflow and, as a consequence, economic growth of the locality. In 1880, it started to be described as a town. A post office, a tax office, a county court, an apothecary, and a school were active there at the time. In 1904, the railway from Nowy Targ was lengthened. In the inter-war period, Czarny Dunajec was gradually losing its status and it lost its town rights in 1934.

In the years of Nazi occupation, the inhabitants of Czarny Dunajec were subject to many acts of terror. Two people were murdered and 30 houses burnt down already in the first days of September. About 80 people were executed at the Czarny Dunajec cemetery during the war. After the liberation, remnants of the murdered were transferred to a common burial place, where a monument was erected with the inscription: “In memory of the Poles murdered in Czarny Dunajec by Nazi torturers between 3rd September 1939 and 29th January 1945 – Compatriots.”

After the war, the locality preserved its agricultural character and its population oscillated to around 3,500. Today, Czarny Dunajec is a tourist center with growing communal infrastructure and a network of restaurants and accommodation facilities. Small industry, gravel pits, peat extraction plants, bituminous mass production plants and zoo technical equipment production plants are also to be found here.

The Administrator [of the jewishmuseum.org] has made all possible efforts to present the content accuratly and up-to-date in a way that does not infringe upon the rights of third parties, including copyrights, but cannot guarantee it. Therefore,erroneous information on the website may not be the basis for claims. If you have any questions, please contact us at the following e-mail address: [email protected]
Link to this article: http://www.sztetl.org.pl/?a=showCity&action=view&cat_id=3&city_id=356&lang=en_GB

Last edited by Shellie on Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:20 am      Post subject:

Visit the live webcam near the church and see what's happening in Czarny Dunajec right now:
http://www.czarnydunajec.com.pl/gmina/

There is a lovely shop just a few steps from the church (on the left of the screen when you look at the webcam images).
I wish I could remember the name of the shop - it is upstairs and has a wonderful selection of Goral clothing and shoes.
Here are some images of the beautiful dresses that they had on display - click on the photo to enlarge the image:

Goral Dresses.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  155.02 KB
 Viewed:  40024 Time(s)

Goral Dresses.jpg

rjaremus

Replies: 29

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:07 pm      Post subject: Czarny Dunajec

Regarding the history of Czarny Dunajec, there is a beautiful history of either Czarny Dunajec or the Roman Catholic parish just inside the main church entrance. I am not fluent in Polish, so I do not know what the document says, although I have a picture of the document. So I am wonder, can someone from Czarny Dunajec translate the document from the church into English and post it on this web site? If not, I could get a digital copy of the pictures that I took 20 years ago to see if someone else could translate the document. Please advise. Thanks.

Rolfe
Send e-mail
rjaremus

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:12 pm      Post subject: Figus family history in Czarny Dunajec

I also have a more specific query. My great grandfather was Szezepan Figus who I know lived in Czarny Dunajec because that is where my grandmother Anna Figus grew up. What I know about Szezepan was that he died in 1920 during the Great Influenza Epidemic (on his way to hospital in Nowy Targ). He was married to Aniela Las from Odrowaz. Does anyone have access to the church records or genealogy information? I would be interested in knowing when/where he was born. Where he was buried. As I understand it, Aniela is buried next to her son, not her husband. Not sure why. If someone has information, or can obtain it, I would love to get in touch with you. Thanks so much.

Rolfe
Send e-mail
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:18 am      Post subject: Re: Czarny Dunajec

rjaremus wrote:
Regarding the history of Czarny Dunajec, there is a beautiful history of either Czarny Dunajec or the Roman Catholic parish just inside the main church entrance. I am not fluent in Polish, so I do not know what the document says, although I have a picture of the document. So I am wonder, can someone from Czarny Dunajec translate the document from the church into English and post it on this web site? If not, I could get a digital copy of the pictures that I took 20 years ago to see if someone else could translate the document. Please advise. Thanks.

Rolfe,

Try to upload the picture here in the Forum. Here is short instruction how to do it: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=373#373 . It would be invaluable information for all whose ancestors used to live in Czarny Dunajec parish Exclamation

You can also type the text from the picture into google tranlsate tool: http://translate.google.com/?hl=en# and have it translated into English.

rjaremus wrote:
I also have a more specific query. My great grandfather was Szezepan Figus who I know lived in Czarny Dunajec because that is where my grandmother Anna Figus grew up. What I know about Szezepan was that he died in 1920 during the Great Influenza Epidemic (on his way to hospital in Nowy Targ). He was married to Aniela Las from Odrowaz. Does anyone have access to the church records or genealogy information? I would be interested in knowing when/where he was born. Where he was buried. As I understand it, Aniela is buried next to her son, not her husband. Not sure why. If someone has information, or can obtain it, I would love to get in touch with you. Thanks so much.

For all who might be interested, Rolfe received great help in his search from Shellie. They most probably found record of Rolfe's great grandmother Exclamation Click here for details in 'Odrowaz near Czarny Dunajec in Malopolskie' Forum thread: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=1727#1727
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:13 pm      Post subject:

Book:

Czarny Dunajec i Okolice — Zarys dziejów do roku 1945, Pod redakcją Feliksa Kiryka, Wydawnictwo i Drukarnia Secesja, Kraków. [Czarny Dunajec and Vicinity — A Sketch of Its Annals up to 1945. Edited by Feliks Kiryk. Secesja Publisher and Printer, Kraków].

This book, written in Polish, chronicles the history of Czarny Dunajec thorough World War II and contains names, dates and photos from private collections, state and local archives and other sources. If you have an interest in this book, please respond to this thread. We are trying to raise enough interest to perhaps arrange a translation of the book.

Dr. Paul Valasek, founder of PolishRoots (www.PolishRoots.com) mentions this book in the March 2006 issue of Gen Dobry:
http://www.polishroots.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=bhQaojT4%2FdI%3D&tabid=60&mid=377

In the Gen Dobry! article, Dr. Valasek wrote:
Anyone who has relatives in Czarny Dunajec and has lines including the family names
Stopka, Szaflarski, Kowalkowski, and Nalezny in their trees, please send me an e-mail ([email protected]). I have material for you as well. My thanks go out to Bart Dzielski, who allowed me use of the book, which also details his family.
rjaremus

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:27 pm      Post subject: History of Czarny Dunajec or Catholic parish therein

Here is a picture of the plaque that is located inside the Catholic Church in Czarny Dunajec. This plaque appears to contain the history of either parish or the town, and it appears to refer back to the year 1234 AD. Could someone that knows Polish provide a translation. Let me know if you want a personal copy of this picture as the words are clearly visible. Thanks. Looks like i can't download due to file size limitations.
Send e-mail
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:03 am      Post subject:

rjaremus wrote:
Looks like i can't download due to file size limitations.

I just increased the allowed miximum size for pictures/scans files up to 2MB. If it is still not enough (if your file is larger than that) please try to resize the file to 2MB or less. Here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=373#373 you will short instruction how to do it, also by using online tools.
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:44 pm      Post subject:

Here is the photo that Rolf took of the parish history insde the doors of the Czarny Dunajec church. The words are also posted online at: http://www.czarnydunajec.parafia.info.pl/?p=main&what=16&PHPSESSID=4a8676b649e9123c88e46edd55cfb097

I used Google translator to get a rough translation:

HISTORY OF THE PARISH AND CHURCH IN Czarny Dunajec

Before 800 years ago Podhale provide an image of raw land, empty and covered with eternal forests and forest, over which rose a crown of the Tatra Mountains. And in this very forest Podhale begins to gather and settle calm the human element, they found the village and poor practice role.

In the year 1234 come from the Land about the Cistercian monks Sieradz Ludźmierz, where place and establish the first church parish covering the whole Podhale Podhale, the part outside Podgorców Mszana to Limanowej and part of today's Orava. In this parish Ludzmierz assumes Kneadus Thomas in 1552 Czarny Dunajec village and he is on his own ground put the wooden church of the Holy Trinity.

In 1605, the son of Thomas, John Kneadus meet a delegation from the village, Czarny Dunajec, Rogoźnik, Stare Bystre, Ratułów, Ciche, Międzyczerwienne, Odrowąż, Dział, Pieniążkowice, Długopole, Wróblówka, Witów , Dzianisz , Nowe Bystre, Zakopane, Poland, and sends this delegation to Myslenice to write the books of the city act establishing the parish Czarny Dunajec covering all the above mentioned villages. In 1606 village administrators listed rural parish assumptions translate documents to the Polish king Sigismund III, who officially endorsed the measure. So the church and parish in the Black Dunajec have as their founders and the founders are not kings, lords, and rich burghers, but a simple, humble peasants, the local peasants, the highlanders of Podhale.

And the significant thing is how beautiful and deep faith, justify your act here is competent in erection, the need for establishment of the parish: "Since these newly settled villages or parishes or other church does not have, which was to be considered by Ś.Ś. sacraments, and prevented the dangers of death without confession and death of children without the Sacrament of Baptism, and that added to their people in worship and the fear of God, by listening to the Word of God with reverence and sacrifice Masses. "9.11.1787r Day. wooden church and bell tower were burned from the fire next to the church organistówki. At the site of the burnt church, was wymurowany new, which was completed in the year 1798, and then was blessed by Fr. Bishop Janowski, Ordinary of the Diocese of Tarnow, which was then Podhale. Since the construction of a careless builder, who, instead of iron ankrów gave to the wall, wooden beams, and on the outside wall przybijał pieces of iron, mimicking ankry, began to burst vault so that they had them in r.1817 undress and then put straight powałkę, the thick, carved into cubes tramach (beams). However, this Powala, due to a large volume of the church, proved too weak and at night, on 25.10.1841r. fell on the floor of the church, causing great damage to the inside.

In 1847, the wind made Powala boards like the vault. Soon, however, because r.1859, in a general fire Czarny Dunajec, also burned the church completely, which left only the walls blown. In r.1864, the local native of Wróblówki, Fr. pastor John Komperda, proceeded to rebuild the burned church. It is a completely rebuilt the church, with certain amendments, and include: nadmurował walls, pillars wymurował, choir and vocal side, and caused zasklepił church altars, organs, bells, and the whole interior embellishment of the temple.

In r.1871 completed construction, relatively restaurant church by przybudowanie chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary, St. today. Joseph, to which the foundation has contributed significantly the local businessman Michael Swiderski. In 1890, for Fr. Leopold pastor Brosig, painter Antoni rate, adorned the beautiful murals inside the church, including altars, which was renewed by the Pastor Rev. Mieczyslaw Kozickiego, by a painter W. Herczaka, in 1958.

(For the text of the vestibule of the church).

In 1994, the parish priest in the Black Dunajec is Fr. Joseph Gil. At that time there have been many renovations in our house. Fr. Joseph has contributed to today's appearance of the church, which in recent years has been painted, renovated and all the altars, listed heating, put the marble floor, the lighting was changed, dehydration has been done, new confessionals and paneling.

September 1, 2005 the new pastor was Fr. Kazimierz Koniorczyk. Beautifully zagospodarował old cemetery at our temple, and with the help of the sponsors put a new sidewalk around the church with cobblestones. The ministry of Fr. Casimir lasted just over two years. After a severe illness left to the Lord 30 December 2007

15 December 2007 was zamianowany parish administrator, Fr. Krzysztof Kocot, and after the death of Fr. Casimir was the pastor of our parish.

House of God is home to all of us. Caring for him is an expression of our faith, czujmy responsibility for the place where our lives in God begins, continues and ends ...

Czarny Dunajec parish history.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  780.05 KB
 Viewed:  40454 Time(s)

Czarny Dunajec parish history.jpg

Elaine

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:21 pm      Post subject: Mazur

I just noticed I didn't have the more information that we know on here! So sorry!

I'm trying to locate any information in regards to my great-grandfather's family background. His name was Bronislaw (Bruno) Mazur from Czerwienne or Nowy Targ, Poland.
He married a Victoria Louise Buda/Bak/Bok/Bonk from Czarny Dunajec, Poland.
We do know they had 1 son, Andrew, who never married; and three daughters: Antonia Rachek, Louise (Ludwika) Leja, and Bridgette Dzielak. Antonia and Bridgette might've had the opposite names I typed.
They lived in Pennsylvia, USA, in the 1920's and maybe 1930's, but I don't know the name of the village. But do know that it wasn't too far from Uniontown, PA.
Any help from someone would be deeply appreciated.

I wish I could tell you more than I wrote on my 1st & 2nd post.
I do know Louise/Ludwika Mazur was born on March 23, 1893. From what I have heard a 2nd or 3rd party, That my grandmother, Louise, went to Poland when she was 3 years old and came back when she was 13 years old or 13 years later. We do not know what part of Poland she lived in during that time.
As for her 3 siblings, I do not know if they were born in the USA or Poland.
I did find a Victoria Mazur arriving on Ellis Island on Dec 26, 1892 with a 2 year old Jasza (I do not know the English translation for this name). Manifest Page 0304 on the ship called Saale. Both Victoria Mazur and Jasza Mazur were going to Cleveland, OH. That is where my grandmother was born 4 months later. I cannot find when my great-grandfather came to America. We do know they lived in Cleveland...moved back to Poland....came back to America. My brother remembers seeing our great-grandparents (he's 15 years older than I am) and I have a picture of them with my grandmother, Louise, her daughter, Teresa, and we think one of the boys was her son, Frank. But not absolutely positive it is. My brother said that they lived in PA at the time when he vaguely remembers them, but doesn't know which town.....he was no older than 10 (he is now going on 80 next May).
There was something in a letter dated 1991 from one sister to another, or possibly cousins writing. They mentioned something about seeing a brother owning a furniture store in Yonkers, NY and that her mother spit in her hanky and said "like father, like son". The mother remembers having to polish the furniture when they were younger.
As I said, I have JUST started getting bits and pieces of information and we're trying to find more. My brother is going to talk to one or two of the aunts that are still alive. Louise was my grandfahter's 2nd wife and had married him on July 16, 1913 at St Joseph's Church in Uniontown, PA. Jakub Leja was married to an Anna Wajda, whom we think we are FINALLY getting some information about. She died on April 20, 1913, leaving him with 6 kids. After he married my grandmother, Louise Mazur, they had 12 more kids. Total of 6 boys and 12 girls. Births ranging from December, 1901 to March, 1932. My grandfahter died in July of 1950, when I was only 4 years old. My grandmother, Louise, died in March of 1977 just before her 83rd birthday in Detroit, MI.
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:06 pm      Post subject:

The Mazur family appears in the 1920 Census in Pennsylvania - Fayette County - North Union Township, Mountain District, enumeration district 64, page 28.

To orient you where in Fayette County this township is located, see this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_North_Union_Township,_Fayette_County,_Pennsylvania_Highlighted.png

I have attached a screen shot with some info to lead you to the census page at Ancestry.com. At Ancestry.com, the page can be found in the North Union section, district 64 on page 54 at the bottom. Children Andy and Brigit show on the following page 56. Both were listed as being born in Pennsylvania, but this conflicts with the date Bruno states he arrived in the US. Andy's occupation was laborer in a coke works.

Bruno is listed as Brous Mazur, age 56, came to the US in 1902, he listed is occupation as coal miner. His wife Victoria, age 53 stated she came to the US in 1903.

I checked my records for births in the village Odrowaz, which is near Nowy Targ, but your family name is not listed, so it's probably safe to rule out Odrowaz as their native village.

Also, check the ship arrival info at Ellis Island or Ancestry.com for the ship Kroonland arrving July 5 1904. Bronislaus Mazur is listed on line 14. He listed is home as Czarny (Czarny Dunajec, most likely) and was traveling to Noorwood (Moorewood), near Mt. Pleasant PA where his brother in law was located. This record shows that Bronislaus was in the US from 1898-1904 before this trip.

There is a Bronistaw Mazur arriving in New York abord the ship Westernland on 02 Feb 1900. Home residence: Dunajec, destination: Uniontown

I hope you find this info useful.

Mazur 1930 Census.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.5 KB
 Viewed:  40454 Time(s)

Mazur 1930 Census.jpg

Elaine

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:52 pm      Post subject:

Shellie, Thank you so very much! We're on the right track! I had to wait for my brother to come over to say "yes" or "no" if we were or not. He remembers visiting them when he was a young boy (he will be 80 in May).
I'm just hoping that as we get stories in from the remaining 18 children my grandfather Jakub Leja had (12 with Ludwinka Mazur) that someone will write about them and give us more of an insight on Bronislaw and Victoria Mazur. And the same hopes are some of my cousins might remember them and write about them for our upcoming Leja Memory Book we're creating for the Leja family reunion next summer.
I will check further into what you have given me in hopes that I'll be able to find out more.
I had just gotten a phone call from a Teresa Mazur from Uniontown,PA. I believe she may be married into the Mazur family. Anyways, she gave me a name and phone number of a 91 year old woman that knows all about the Mazurs from the Uniontown area and should be able to help me. Unfortunately, I'm hearing impaired and can't really talk on the phone and understand what the other party is telling me. So, I passed on the number to my older brother, in hopes that he'll call her soon and possibly get more information.
Thanking you for giving us a lead where to look for more information.
Regards,
Elaine L Cain
Great-granddaughter of Bronislaw & Victoria Mazur
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:18 pm      Post subject:

Elaine,
I am so glad that I was able to help you. Please be sure to post some updates as you progress with your research. You never know who will find the info useful in the future. I hope that the phone call will reveal a ton of information!
Warmest Regards,
Shellie
Shellie

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:18 pm      Post subject:

I just noticed a message from Cath at this thread: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=648
Posted on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:48:
subject: Onufry Idzik and Katarzyna Tuzow in Czarny Dunajec in 1850s.

Onufry Idzik married Katarzyna Tuzow in Czarny Dunajec. Their children are
John Idzik, b. 28 Jul 1871
Joseph Idzik, b. abt 1800 Are there any records or knowledge of the Idzik and Tuzow families?

Maybe someone reading this thread can comment on Cath's request.
Thanks,
Shellie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page 1 of 4

Jump to: