PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:15 pm      Post subject: Village in Galicia, Poland area, Bokivka

hi

Last edited by tim_timofey on Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:11 am      Post subject:

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum!

If you can post the naturalization document, that would be most helpful.

If you cannot post it, then please provide more details such as full names, approximate year of birth, approximate immigration date, location they lived after immigration. We need more details in order to try and help.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
tim_timofey

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:13 pm      Post subject:

Cynthia,

Last edited by tim_timofey on Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
tim_timofey

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:20 pm      Post subject:

Sorry, she was born in about 1893/1894!
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:13 pm      Post subject:

Hi Tim,

So, you may already have this information…..

I found a 1910 census for Lizzie Walco age 15 living in Pottsville with her parents, Michael and Mary. On this census, it indicates she was born in Pennsylvania abt 1895, but her parents were born in Austria / Slovak. I also found another 1910 census for what seems to be her brother, Michael, age 25, living in South Cass. He was born about 1885 in Austria/ Slovak and immigrated in 1910.

See attached documents. Still looking around….

Cynthia

1910 census reduced2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.61 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1910 census reduced2.jpg

1910 census reduced.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.78 MB

1910 census reduced.jpg

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:44 pm      Post subject:

Not sure, but I think this is her bother, Michal Wilcow, 1910 passenger list going to Minersville, PA. Place of residence and birth is Bukowo or Bukowka (SP?)

Maybe we can get some other eyes on the handwriting to narrow it down. Since they are consistently listed as "Slovak" or "Ruthenian", that might provide a clue as to the location of the village.

Still looking...
Cynthia

1910 passeger list Michal Wilkow p1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.04 MB

1910 passeger list Michal Wilkow p1.jpg

1910 passenger list Michal Wilkow p2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1 MB

1910 passenger list Michal Wilkow p2.jpg

Send e-mail
tim_timofey

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:36 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hi Tim,

So, you may already have this information…..

I found a 1910 census for Lizzie Walco age 15 living in Pottsville with her parents, Michael and Mary. On this census, it indicates she was born in Pennsylvania abt 1895, but her parents were born in Austria / Slovak. I also found another 1910 census for what seems to be her brother, Michael, age 25, living in South Cass. He was born about 1885 in Austria/ Slovak and immigrated in 1910.

See attached documents. Still looking around….

Cynthia

Cynthia, Thank you so much! I don't think that "Lizzie" is my Elizabeth. But I do think that the census record for Mike might be right! I don't think that Lizzie is mine because 1. My grandmother confirmed Elizabeth herself was an immigrant. 2 Church records in many instances say her father's name was Ivan(John) 3. a 1930 and 1940 census where she was living in Coaldale, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania indicates she did come over. I found her in a 1920 census but I will have to locate it online. Please let me know your feelings on this.

Thank you again!
Tim
tim_timofey

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:43 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Not sure, but I think this is her bother, Michal Wilcow, 1910 passenger list going to Minersville, PA. Place of residence and birth is Bukowo or Bukowka (SP?)

Maybe we can get some other eyes on the handwriting to narrow it down. Since they are consistently listed as "Slovak" or "Ruthenian", that might provide a clue as to the location of the village.

Still looking...
Cynthia

I think this is him! WOW! It looks like Bukowka. Can you read what it says on who the relative he has overseas?
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1029

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:48 am      Post subject:

tim_timofey wrote:
mcdonald0517 wrote:

Still looking...
Cynthia

I think this is him! WOW! It looks like Bukowka. Can you read what it says on who the relative he has overseas?

Hi Tim and Cynthia,
The name of the nearest relative overseas looks like "uncle, Roman Walkow."
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:37 am      Post subject:

Hi Tim,

Here is the puzzle regarding the village name Bokivka in your original request…

The spelling is most likely not correct. Often the information on naturalization records was given verbally and written by a clerk which lends itself to many spelling errors.

There is no location in Poland with that exact spelling. If you start changing the spelling to likely variants, there are multiple locations that could be candidates. Bottom line is: you still do not have an exact location of birth for her.

Also, I would not say that the Michael in the 1910 census is her brother for sure. I saw multiple Michael Walkow, Walco, Walko in that area of Pennsylvania. You can hold onto it as a possible data point, but I wouldn’t hold it as a certainty.

From what I saw when researching, the census records tend to list her as Slovak, Galicia, Austria. Have you also seen this? If so, then it is a clue as to which partition of Poland she was born. Your family also confirmed she spoke Russian at home. If I put this together, a working theory is that she was born in the area of present day Ukraine that borders southeast Poland. Again, just a theory.

To get more fact than theory, you need to find more documents in the US. You mention church records. Do you have her church marriage records for both marriages? If not, I suggest you focus there. Often, our ancestors married in local Polish parishes. The priests of these parishes were Polish, so they spoke and wrote the language. They also often included more details about where the bride and groom were baptized. That information may be more accurate. You can contact the church directly and request a copy or at least the information contained in the record.

If you were able to post some of the documents you have, it would be much easier to help. Could you find someone local to help you do this?

I hope this provides some suggestions. Perhaps other forum members have other suggestions as well.

Wishing you success in your research,
Cynthia

Sent from my iPad
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:39 pm      Post subject:

Okay, so I think I may have found her first marriage record see attached. The kicker is her name on the record is Czalka Walek. The dates line up with the birth of first child, Mary. The location lines up. There is also the name of the priest who married them and where they were married - Minersvilke.

Perhaps this record is hers… don’t know enough about Slovak names, but perhaps this is why she kept changing it - Elizabeth, Sally, …..

Maybe you can use this record to track down the church and request the parish record.

Cynthia

0609BF69-458B-4752-A6C5-DED6EF392E88.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.28 MB

0609BF69-458B-4752-A6C5-DED6EF392E88.jpeg

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:06 pm      Post subject:

And, this one, you probably have. I think this is her second marriage. Here the name is Sallie Bonchik. First husband died in Dec 1919. Her name in this record aligns with her name in 1920 census where she is widowed with 3 children. Her father here is John Walko and mother is Mary - both deceased.

Cynthia

739DA534-EFAE-4BEE-B562-DCD98554806E.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.36 MB

739DA534-EFAE-4BEE-B562-DCD98554806E.jpeg

Send e-mail
tim_timofey

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:19 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Okay, so I think I may have found her first marriage record see attached. The kicker is her name on the record is Czalka Walek. The dates line up with the birth of first child, Mary. The location lines up. There is also the name of the priest who married them and where they were married - Minersvilke.

Perhaps this record is hers… don’t know enough about Slovak names, but perhaps this is why she kept changing it - Elizabeth, Sally, …..

Maybe you can use this record to track down the church and request the parish record.

Cynthia

Cynthia,

I did in fact see Elizabeth's name somewhere written as Salka Valka, but I can't for the life of me, remember where I saw it. The church that the Reverend served at is no longer, so I wrote other churches to see if they hold the records for other churchs. I know my town does that. I really didn't know how else to go about searching for the records. Any Ideas? I should have mentioned this before, i have seen the last name spelled Wallick or Wallik. Needless to say, I'm very confused now. Hopefully, the church records are available, and they show something. Thank you for everyone's help
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:24 pm      Post subject:

Hi Tim,

So what is the name of the church for her first marriage? Second marriage?

If you provide the church names, we can look into where records might be held.

Cynthia
Send e-mail
tim_timofey

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:21 am      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hi Tim,

So what is the name of the church for her first marriage? Second marriage?

If you provide the church names, we can look into where records might be held.

Cynthia

Cynthia, the name of the first church(Minersville) was St George's Greek Catholic, and the the second marriage, I was just to look at those records last week. the only thing they provided was Elizabeth's father's name. I would post the second marriage record here but it's all in Russian. I could translate it for you, but it doesn't provide much information. It contains more information about my great-grandfather, who is from preent-day Moldova(Bessarabia)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: