stewart
Joined: 07 Feb 2025
Replies: 59
Location: UKBack to top |
Posted: Yesterday at 8:06 am
Post subject: Marriage record
I keep trying to post in the translation section but my post isn't appearing for some reason. I've attached a marriage record of who I believe is Aniela Runowicz and ? Grabowski. I need to know any information possible from it - full names, date and place of marriage, parents names etc. I've tried to find this on geneteka but my browsers won't let me access the site so I don't understand why that's happening it's never happened before. Also on this forum I keep attaching the file but when I click submit it doesn't appear????
|
|
|
SophiaPO Top Contributor
Joined: 05 Oct 2014
Replies: 1624
Back to top |
Posted: Yesterday at 8:34 am
Post subject:
Hi Stewart,
It is possible that the file you are trying to attach is too large. There are limits on the file size that Polish Origins lets you upload. Files that are .jpg or .jpeg cannot be larger than 2MB. A PDF can be up to 3MB. (see image, below)
One thing you can do is a screenshot of the image; that usually results in a smaller file size. Another option is to break your image down into pieces. All a bit of a bother, I know, but you'll get there.
Sophia
| Description: |
|
| Filesize: |
61 KB |
| Viewed: |
0 Time(s) |

|
|
|
|
stewart
Joined: 07 Feb 2025
Replies: 59
Location: UKBack to top |
Posted: Yesterday at 9:21 am
Post subject:
Thanks Sophie, seems it's 2.01 MB just over the limit so I'll get it reduced
|
|
|
SophiaPO Top Contributor
Joined: 05 Oct 2014
Replies: 1624
Back to top |
Posted: Yesterday at 9:53 am
Post subject:
Hi Stewart,
I see you were able to post the image.
According to Geneteka, the groom is Józef Grabowski. His father's name is either not written there or could not be read by the indexer because they only gave his mother's name, Marianna. For Aniela Runowicz (seems to be spelled Ronowicz in this record, according to the indexer) her father was Jędrzej Runowicz/Ronowicz and her mother was Józefa Matyakowska/Matyjakowska.
The record is actually in Russian, not Polish, but don't worry about re-posting it. You'll still be likely to get a translation just where you've placed it.
Best regards,
Sophia
|
|
|
stewart
Joined: 07 Feb 2025
Replies: 59
Location: UKBack to top |
Posted: Yesterday at 10:07 am
Post subject:
Blimey Sophia that was quick, thank you! I thought if it was in Russian it would have been in the cyrillic alphabet. I don't what's happened re geneteka, I've tried 3 browsers and they all say there's a security issue and advising me not to proceed, I've never had that before and I only used it a couple of days ago.
|
|
|
SophiaPO Top Contributor
Joined: 05 Oct 2014
Replies: 1624
Back to top |
Posted: Yesterday at 12:00 pm
Post subject:
| stewart wrote: | | Blimey Sophia that was quick, thank you! I thought if it was in Russian it would have been in the cyrillic alphabet. I don't what's happened re geneteka, I've tried 3 browsers and they all say there's a security issue and advising me not to proceed, I've never had that before and I only used it a couple of days ago. |
Hi Stewart,
You are probably used to seeing printed cyrillic, but there is also handwritten cyrillic and that is what you see in this record. It is all written in Russian (which I cannot read, so I rely heavily on what the Geneteka indexers write) but as a nod to Poles, the names of the key people in this record were also recorded using the Latin alphabet. I am attaching an image where you can see the name "Jozefem Grabowskim" (that means, "of Jozef Grabowski") written first in handwritten cyrillic and then in the Latin alphabet. Fun, right?
Not sure why your browsers are so concerned about Geneteka. I am not having a problem with it. If you need something looked up, I'll try to help.
Sophia
| Description: |
|
| Filesize: |
239.35 KB |
| Viewed: |
0 Time(s) |

|
|
|
|
stewart
Joined: 07 Feb 2025
Replies: 59
Location: UKBack to top |
Posted: Yesterday at 1:43 pm
Post subject:
Well I never knew that about cyrillic! I don't know if you can help with anything re geneteka but I'll explain the conundrum I'm trying to unravel re Aniela Runowicz. Aniela is one of the children of the marriage of Jedrzej Runowicz and Jozefa Matyakowska (Jozefa is one of the children of my great great grandparents Pawel Matyakowski and Katarzyna Koslowska, she might even be a great grandparent of mine). I believe Aniela was born 14 May 1875 Gójsk, Mazowieckie, Poland. In the family tree of a distant cousin of mine she is shown as Aniela Nellie Runowicz and dying on 12 Mar 1948 Morrisville, Bucks, Pennsylvania, USA. My guess is that the 'Nellie' came from an Americanisation of her name. The same family tree shows her as having had a husband 'Josef Kaminski Comisky' (1870–1919) but no information about their marriage. This week I came across another family tree that shows an Aniela Runowicz as the daughter of Jozefa Runowicz nee Matyakowska and the owner of the tree has told me Aniela married a Grabowski and sent me the marriage record you've seen. So I was trying to access Geneteka to try and establish whether Aniela's marriage had been transcribed there and what it revealed. From what you've told me this does seem to be 'my' Aniela so then maybe the information in the first family tree about her death in USA and Kominsky marriage is wrong or maybe she married twice, but without any dates/details of the marriages I can't really even infer anything.
|
|
|
SophiaPO Top Contributor
Joined: 05 Oct 2014
Replies: 1624
Back to top |
Posted: Yesterday at 3:24 pm
Post subject:
| stewart wrote: | | Well I never knew that about cyrillic! I don't know if you can help with anything re geneteka but I'll explain the conundrum I'm trying to unravel re Aniela Runowicz. Aniela is one of the children of the marriage of Jedrzej Runowicz and Jozefa Matyakowska (Jozefa is one of the children of my great great grandparents Pawel Matyakowski and Katarzyna Koslowska, she might even be a great grandparent of mine). I believe Aniela was born 14 May 1875 Gójsk, Mazowieckie, Poland. In the family tree of a distant cousin of mine she is shown as Aniela Nellie Runowicz and dying on 12 Mar 1948 Morrisville, Bucks, Pennsylvania, USA. My guess is that the 'Nellie' came from an Americanisation of her name. The same family tree shows her as having had a husband 'Josef Kaminski Comisky' (1870–1919) but no information about their marriage. This week I came across another family tree that shows an Aniela Runowicz as the daughter of Jozefa Runowicz nee Matyakowska and the owner of the tree has told me Aniela married a Grabowski and sent me the marriage record you've seen. So I was trying to access Geneteka to try and establish whether Aniela's marriage had been transcribed there and what it revealed. From what you've told me this does seem to be 'my' Aniela so then maybe the information in the first family tree about her death in USA and Kominsky marriage is wrong or maybe she married twice, but without any dates/details of the marriages I can't really even infer anything. |
Hi Stewart,
Well, let's give Marcel a chance to do the full translation, so that you can see the dates (for sure the marriage was in 1890) and other valuable details.
I can tell you that Geneteka has a birth record for Aniela Ronowicz in Gójsk in 1868, a few years off from what you expected. The image of that birth record is here on Family Search (she is baptism #70):
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C33G-MBFF?i=403&cat=60183&lang=en
I am also attaching it below, albeit as a .png file so the resolution is not fabulous. This record is in Polish. Geneteka is showing her as the daughter of Jędrzej Runowicz and Jozefa Matyakowska .
I do not see an 1875 birth on Geneteka for this couple. I do, however, see a son Juljan born to them in 1876, baptism #31, and I notice that Geneteka shows the father there as Andrzej (you probably already know that Andrzej and Jędrzej seem somehow interchangeable, I am not sure why that is but I have seen it before).
So, I went back to Geneteka and pulled a list for you of all the kids of Andrzej/Jedrzej and Jozefa (see the chart, below).
For now I will keep an open mind about Aniela marrying twice. It's entirely possible.
Hope this helps,
Sophia
| Description: |
|
| Filesize: |
120.91 KB |
| Viewed: |
0 Time(s) |

|
| Description: |
|
| Filesize: |
524.14 KB |
| Viewed: |
0 Time(s) |

|
|
|
|
stewart
Joined: 07 Feb 2025
Replies: 59
Location: UKBack to top |
Posted: Yesterday at 5:26 pm
Post subject:
Thanks for doing all that Sophia, I think there must be a halo above your head!
|
|
|
SophiaPO Top Contributor
Joined: 05 Oct 2014
Replies: 1624
Back to top |
Posted: 18 hours ago at 6:05 am
Post subject:
| stewart wrote: | | Thanks for doing all that Sophia, I think there must be a halo above your head! |
Well, yes, of course there is! Fun fact: my halo glows in the dark.
I meant to comment on the name Nellie. I agree with you completely, this was a nickname used to turn Aniela into a form easier for Americans to remember and to say. I want to add that in records that were written in Latin, Aniela is rendered as Angela, and that is another form you may find along the way because it also works well for English speakers.
The Ronowicz surname is sufficiently rare in Poland that it is worth you checking out all Aniela's with that family name to see if they are connected to you, but I don't feel there is enough evidence yet to connect her to Nellie Kaminski/Comisky. The one tree I looked at on FamilySearch which calls her Nellie does not show her birth record or immigration record or marriage record or in fact any record that shows her maiden name. Even a death record for Jozef Grabowski would help support the case that Aniela remarried, but I don't see that either. I am guessing that all of these things are the things you are actively looking for now, to either rule in or rule out that your Aniela is the same as this Nellie.
Best of luck with it!
Sophia
|
|
|
|
|
|